December 13, 2017 by Amy@wholesomelicious.com
“Meatball Minestrone Soup is a comforting meal for the winter full of fresh vegetables! The meatballs replace beans or pasta used in a traditional variation of minestrone soup for a grain-free, Paleo, and Whole30 version. Topped with fresh herbs for more flavor!”
- For the Meatballs
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- 8 oz pork or turkey sausage*
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- For the Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 ribs celery diced
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced
- 1 medium zucchini diced
- 1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt + more to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
For the Meatballs:
- Heat oven to a broil.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together meat with spices.
- Roll into 1.5 inch balls, and place on a baking sheet.
- Broil for 5-6 minutes (just enough to get them browned on the outside, they can cook more later).
- Remove from oven and set aside.
For the Soup:
- In a large stock pot, heat your pan to medium-medium high heat.
- Once hot, add diced onion. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add garlic, celery, and carrots. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, then add tomatoes, broth, and vinegar.
- Bring to a boil, then add meatballs to soup.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, let cook uncovered for about 20 minutes. Season with salt.
- Top with fresh basil to serve and parmesan cheese (optional).
Click here for this delicious recipe and more!