“This Salsa Verde Chicken is a total game changer for any Mexican dish!! A delicious roasted tomatillo sauce is tossed into your Instant Pot (or slow cooker), to make the yummiest shredded and flavorful chicken. Put inside a taco, in a salad, or on a bed of rice for a versatile meal!”
TOMATILLO SALSA VERDE
- 1.5 lbs tomatillos husks removed
- 1 large poblano pepper de-seeded and sliced in half
- 2 jalapeno peppers de-seeded and sliced in half
- 1 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 2/3 cup diced white onion
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 lime juice of
- 1/2 tsp sea salt + more to taste
FOR THE CHICKEN
- 2 lbs chicken thighs* or breast
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Begin by making your tomatillo salsa verde. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Slice the tomatillos in half and place cut side down on your baking sheet. Place the peppers cut side down on the same sheet. Lightly brush with oil, and place in the oven. Cook for 12-15 minutes, or until the tops of the veggies are blistered (see photo in post). Remove from the oven.
- Place roasted veggies, onion, cilantro, garlic, lime and sea salt in a blender. Pulse and blend for until smooth (don’t over pulse).
- Now place the chicken in the bottom of your Instant Pot. Pour the salsa verde on top. Add chicken broth, and cumin. Secure the lid on your Instant Pot, ensuring the valve is turned to the sealed position. Select manual (or pressure for different models), and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Use a quick release and release all steam before opening the lid of your IP. Shred the chicken with a fork and serve, adding additional salt to taste.
- For the slow cooker, place chicken on the bottom of your slow cooker and top with salsa verde. You do not need the chicken broth. Add in some cumin. Cook on low for 4-6 hours, or until the chicken is fork tender.
Ensure any visible fat is removed from the chicken thighs.