What are the benefits of physical therapy? We could search the internet and find websites that list a variety of reasons why physical therapy is beneficial. However, these are typically pretty broad reasons, such as: ‘improvement of mobility’ and ‘motion,’ or ‘to avoid prescription medications or surgery.’
When you realize you need physical therapy, or when your doctor prescribes it, you have the ability to take charge of your injury. So, look for a physical therapy clinic with trained professionals that will create a personalized treatment plan, focusing on your needs. Then, decide what benefits and goals you would like to see as a result of physical therapy, and the therapist will work closely with you to achieve those goals.
Listed below are a few benefits of physical therapy according to our patients:
- “(I) started therapy because of TMJ pain and right shoulder pain, which kept me awake at night. Huge improvement after first appointment. Pain gone, shoulder stronger, jaw aligned. Bonus- I learned new ways to improve posture and relaxation techniques.”
- “Progress was slow at the beginning, but therapists offered a number of exercises, nearly all of which have helped dramatically. They also adjusted exercises as symptoms changed.”
- “I am almost completely back to where I was (before surgery), and I didn’t think it was possible.”
- “I had anxiety when I first arrived, but soon felt very relaxed on my first visit. Therapy was fantastic, and helped me to gain strength and mobility in my shoulder.”
- “When I came the first week, I was assured I’d be walking and nearly back to normal in a few short weeks. I was skeptical, but he was right!”
- “My pain that I have had since I was in my 20’s is gone.”
- “I was given an excellent at home plan for me to work on.”
If you require the assistance of a physical therapist, set goals that you would like to achieve, so that you can reap the greatest benefits of physical therapy.
Notice again what the patients above benefited from: aligned jaw, bonus posture techniques, exercises that helped dramatically, strength and mobility in shoulder, walking, pain is gone!
Just as the patients above have expressed specific benefits, you will also be able to articulate the specific benefits physical therapy has had in your life. So, take charge of your injury and seek a physical therapist that listens to your goals and develops a personalized treatment plan to help you achieve them.
What will be your greatest benefit after seeking physical therapy?
If you are not sure if physical therapy will help relieve your symptoms, call today to set up your free 30 minute consultation with our therapists. They will meet with you, access your symptoms and goals, and give you an honest assessment. (616) 785-8535.
-Gina Mast, PTA